The Music of Mariners’ Church is traditionally Anglican in nature, as befits the Liturgies of the 1928 Book of Common Prayer. The Organ is played in all services. The chamber-sized Professional Choir, comprised of women and men drawn from all over southeastern Michigan and northern Ohio, sings the 11:00 service every Sunday morning, and other services on various Holy Days in the year. The Choral Repertoire encompasses classical music from plainsong to the works of traditionally-minded living composers. Our hymnody is drawn mostly from Anglican sources, including the 1940 Hymnal, the English Hymnal, and Hymns Ancient and Modern.
The Organ in Mariners’ Church, built by the Toledo-based firm D.F. Pilzecker & Company, Organ Builders, was consecrated in September, 2007. The 78-rank instrument, housed in beautiful case work which perfectly complements the architecture of the Church, contains nearly 4,100 pipes. Music of all of the principal composers for the organ is equally at home on this fine instrument. It is a superb organ for the accompaniment of the Choir, and its voice supports and leads the singing of congregations of worshippers both large and small. (Click here for the organ specification.)
Holy Communion Services on Thursdays in Advent and Lent are followed by 45-minute recitals, given by members of the Music Staff of the Church. The Assistant Organist, Kevin J. Bylsma, who also is on the Faculty of the Opera Department at Bowling Green State University, has served the Parish since 1993; the Organist and Choirmaster, Kenneth J. Sweetman, was appointed in 1982, having previously served as Assistant Organist of Chichester Cathedral.